Innovative Tools for Change Strategy Execution by Patrick Seaton

Patrick Seaton's Explanation of His Innovative Change Strategy Tools


My “tools” come from being in many situations over the years (mostly outside the US) where I was expected to make changes. The why, what changes, and who were never identified prior to my arrival. I was also not given any formal training on how to facilitate and manage change. Therefore, out of survival I started to develop my own tools to help me do two things: understand the situation at hand and devise a plan for moving forward.


I was on location for only a brief amount of time in most cases, so I had to find ways to get the people to give their buy-in to the needed changes and also take ownership of the work moving forward. Finally, while the people might not have taken exactly the path I would have taken to get the job done, I needed to make sure that whatever path they took (one that made sense to them) it was in the direction the company had set out for a future strategy.


All this said, I have now developed over 20 focused activities that are designed to bring a small group of people (from 1 to 15 is typical) together to discuss and correct a specific challenge they are facing. The activities usually last between 3 and 4 hours. They are not intended to change the work in one fell swoop. Instead, they are intended to bring clarity, direction, and understanding on a specific issue.


The activities are card based, meaning that I provide small, specially-designed cards that people write on, and the cards are displayed on a wall in front of the people as the session moves along. This helps to create a visual that everybody sees. It creates a common visual for the group. Since I provide the prompts, cards, and structure for the sessions, the content comes from the people – the experts. This makes every session unique and it engages the people because the information is their information. I never tell them what they must do to change the situation. I let the wall tell them. I simply point out certain aspects of the wall that prompt them to consider certain choices and actions.


So that’s a high-level overview of what I do to change people’s behaviors during the change process. There needs to be top-down clarity and vision, but there also needs to be bottom-up support and willingness to act. Bringing those two thoughts together through group sessions and guided reflection is a very powerful thing. While the concept is simple, please understand that the outcomes are very powerful. Moving people forward in a unified manner, to improve the company, is very often a failed act.

Please visit his website http://www.innovmgmt.com/

Comments